With a finger on the pulse of local and global events, the Advanced Media Institute organizes large and small scientific meetings, which attract the academic community and opinion leaders across business and politics, as well as the wider public, to exchange views on current issues within the framework of open discussion.
Topics represent a spectrum of thought-provoking ideas, which engage participants and lead to vibrant debate and knowledge sharing.
Members of the Advanced Media Institute are highly regarded for their journalism expertise and have organized many successful scientific meetings at local and international levels.
- Digital Journalism: solution to the Media crisis?
Focusing on the demands of the digital media era, the conference gave the participants a great opportunity to catch up with the latest discussions taking place on research basis, theoretical and practical progress regarding the vital issue of the Internet usage by journalists and communication specialists worldwide. The Conference was held in Athens with the support of the Secretariat General of Information and Communication.
- Journalism, Society and Politics in new, digital, mediated era.
The interplay between digital journalism and the political environments at various levels – from autocratic to democratising and democratic
levels was examined at the interdisciplinary conference which aimed to bring academics and professional journalists to discuss and compare the impact of technology on the relationship between journalism, politics and economics in terms of societies /communities. The second international conference, hosted in Limassol, Cyprus, aims at. The conference titled “Journalism, Society and Politics in the Digital Media Era”, was organized jointly by the “Advanced Media Institute”, the Open University of Cyprus, the “Centre for the Study of Journalism, Culture and Community” at Bournemouth University (UK), and the “Laboratory of Research in New Economy and Development” at University Hassan II Casablanca (Morocco), with the support of the Cyprus University of Technology, in Limassol, Cyprus, (September 1-3, 2017). Link: http://amiretreat2017.com/
SCIENTIFIC DAY CONFERENCE (MEETING)
On behalf of the Master Program “Communication and New Journalism” of the Open University of Cyprus, Advanced Media Institute organized six #retreat – annual 3-days scientific meetings aiming to bring together students/newcomers/graduates and instructors. They took place in Athens, Agros of Cyprus, Thessaloniki, Crete, Athens and Limassol. On behalf of the same program, it also organized different thematic scientific day conferences and special lectures.
- Scientific Workshop: “The Crisis as a challenge to writing: A journalist and a writer are trying to unravel the tangle” with Dimitris Nollas, Nikos Xidakis and Antonis Papayiannides (Nicosia 27/11/2011).
- Scientific Workshop: “The concept of truth in communication and journalism” with Nikos Xidakis, George Kyrtsos, Rena Dourou, Antonis Papayiannides, Lefteris Kousoulis and Vasilis Mourdoukoutas (Athens, October 4-7, 2012).
- Scientific Workshop: “The Political System in Greece. How did we get there? From the Popular Party and the Liberals to New Democracy and PASOK and the role of the Left” with Elias Nikolakopoulos, Marantzidis Nikos, Lefteris Kousoulis (Athens, 29/11/2012)
- Public Debates “Solutions are available. Do we want them?”
Advanced Media Institute, in cooperation with bookstores IANOS and “Metamesonykties Publications”, conducted a series of six public debates with the participation of well-known journalists and communication scholars. The aim of the discussions was to explore solutions, the effects of these solutions and their impact. These discussions were held in Athens and Nicosia and were attended by politicians, academics, journalists and intellectuals from Greece and Cyprus. Questions and discussions were all coordinated by Sofia Iordanidou.
- Lefteris Kousoulis, Michalis Charalambidis “Reaction to the roots of inertia: the trap of partisanship, political conscience / political participation”.
- Giorgos Contogeorgis, Antonis Papagiannidis, “The international dimension. Placements and silences: Are we living in a one-dimensional world?”
- Lefteris Kousoulis, Stavros Lygeros, “Who leads the discussion: politicians or journalists?”
- Antonis Papagiannidis, Yiannis Stavrakakis. Giorgos Kapopoulos, “The European belonging of Greece: how ingrained is it?”
- Antonis Papagiannidis, Christoforos Sardelis, “The debate on the economy and the debt hypothesis: can we agree?”
- Antonis Papagiannidis, Lefteris Kousoulis, Philippos Pangalos, “How do they see us: Foreign Correspondents in Greece”.
- Scientific Workshop: “Greece and Cyprus in economic, political and moral despair: Output Prospects”, with Haridimos Tsoukas, Lefteris Kousoulis, Antonis Ellinas and Achilles Emilianides.
- Scientific Workshop: #retreat2013: “Cyprus and Propaganda” with Achilles Emilianides, Giorgos Kentas, Michalis Kontos and Andreas Panagiotou.
- “Dimosiografia” Journal in Phileleftheros newspapaper”, day conference for the content of the journal “Dimosiografia” by Nikos Christodoulides, Haridimos Tsoukas and Achilles Emilianides.
- Interdisciplinary workshop: “Freedom of speech, of law or fear. New Journalism and its challenges”. Organized by the Master Program “Communication and New Journalism” of OUC, Law Department of the University of Nicosia and the magazine “Dimosiografia”.
- Scientific Workshop: # retreat2014: “Communication, Journalism and Politics in the 21st Century: A Brave New World?”, with Paul Tsimas, Valia Kaimaki, Chrysanthos Chrysanthou, Andreas Panagopoulos, Dimitris Papazoglou, Efthimios Savvaki, Aris Democides, Lefteris Kousoulis, Vassilis Mourdoukoutas and George Skampardonis.
- Scientific Workshop: “How has the Banking Crisis affected the international image of Cyprus?” with Nikos Christodoulides, Michalis Persianis, Andreas Assiotis, George Pamporides and George Kentas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzfOCZD1EA
- Scientific Workshop: «CreteRetreat2015: Destination Branding and Travel Journalism», with Stavros Arnaoutakis, Antonis Demetriou, Panayiotis Papoutsakis, Sissy Papadogianni, Antonis Papayiannides, and Vasilis Mourdoukoutas.
- Scientific Workshop: “How Turkish Cypriots see us”, with Nikos Christodoulides, Stefanos Stefanou, Giorgos Lillikas, Nigiazi Kizilkiourek and Chrysanthos Chrysanthou.
- “Prejudices and Blindness in the Economy of the 21st century”. Series of lectures by Kostas Vergopoulos.
SEMINARS, WORKSHOPS, LECTURES
Scientific Lectures and Seminars
In order to achieve the best connection between the academic theory and the market, Advanced Media Institute has organized a series of seminars, workshops and lectures conducted by well known, professionals and academics:
- Maria Chrysanthou “Principles of Intercultural Journalism and Communication”.
- Father Neophytos Karam “Culture in Southeast Mediterranean”.
- Petros Zarounas “Media and political / social conflicts in SE Mediterranean”.
- Theodoros Theodorou: “Muslim minority of Thrace”.
- Yiannis Stavrakakis “Spirits of the crisis: Ethical and political dimensions of the Economy”.
- Alexandros Kazamias “Orientalism and Revolution: The ‘Arab Spring’ in the Western media”.
- Giorgos Papakyriacou “Media in the Arab world and their role in political and social processes”.
- Antonis Papagiannidis, “Governments, society and news”.
- Dinos Siotis. “The Relationship of Poetry with Politics”.
- Projection of the film «Yellow Channel» by Thomas Kallis. Debating with Achilles Grammatikopoulos and Thomas Kallis.
- Nikos Sotiriades. “Television from the 80s to the 2010s”.
- Christodoulos Tzionis. “Journalism and the distortions of the Greek language”.
- Maria Xenofontos. “Political Strategic Communication”.
- Zeta Mazou. “Focus Group: Methodology and Operationalization of Results in the Desing of Communication Campaigns”.
- Myrsini Dogani. “Greek Economic Crisis: Guilt, Apology and Propaganda in the Short Film # Pseudocracy #”.
- Movie by Paschalis Papapetrou “Souvlakia Sheftalia”. Discussion with directors / producers Paschalis Papapetrou, Stavros Papageorgiou and Panayiotis Caparis for the relationship of journalism with the direction.
- Anthonis Makridis: President of the Union of Cyprus Journalists.
- Myrsini Dogani. “The rhetorical construction of fear in the journalistic discourse”.
- Panagiotis Tsiligiannis, “Crisis management: the plan, the message and lessons to be avoided”.
- “Investigation of the effects of the economic crisis in the media, the central Media and Social Media.” Held on January 26, 2014. Presented by Mr. Orestis Tringides, expert in online information issues.
- “Potential distortions and deviations in the coverage of economic news.” Held on March 31, 2014. Presented by Mr. Peter Petrides, Secretary of the “Cyprus Media Complaints Commission”.
- Evangelos Liontzis. “Mediation, communication and the consumer of media: A socio-historical reading of mediation”.
- Dimitra Iordanoglou. “Leadership and Emotional Intelligence.What leadership means today, what is the Leader model today, skills and emotional intelligence”.
- “The comparison of Journalism in mainstream and online media”. Presented by Christoforos Papastylianou, journalist and founder of the website paideia-news.com.
- “Developments in journalistic practice.” Held on October 16, 2015 and related the development of journalism in the light of technological advaces, the financial crisis, the media crisis and journalistic storytelling in different experiences of media platforms – With Christos Kalountzoglou, head of the web TV of the Athenian and the Macedonian Press Agency news and journalist of Antenna.
- “The rise and decline of economic theories from the Great Depression of 1929 until the crisis of 2008-2009. The view from a national perspective.” by Lawyer / Journalist / Analyst Anthonis D. Papayiannides.
- “Modern Political Marketing” by Dr. Dionysis Panos Part A on 29/01/2016 & Part B on 08/04/2016.
- manos takas
- “Πρόσεξέ με: Το διαδίκτυο σήμερα: από τη βιομηχανία της προσοχής στη βιοτεχνία του ενδιαφέροντος” by journalist and blogger Manolis andriotakis
- “fake news” και παραπληροφόρηση στην εποχή του διαδικτύου” by Michalis Panagiotakis/nikos Smyrnaios
- “Media Literacy–Βασική προτεραιότητα του Πολίτη” by Antonis Zarintas
- “Όλα είναι παιχνίδι”: Οι εφαρμογές του gaming στην επικοινωνία και τον πολιτισμό” by Alexander Xendon
“From paper to participation: tools and skills of modern journalist.” Three 4-hour workshops with Nikos Xidakis with the participation of specialists.
- Content: Conditions, quality, data mining, reporting. Narrative structures. Montage. Similarities-Differences in content and form in various media. Use of audiovisual documents and references.
- Blogging. YouTube. Flickr. – Privacy, self-censorship, professional-amateur boundaries
- Coexistence ways mixed platforms: paper and digital. Reporting structures. Feature story. Analysis-article. Comment. Serial. Vignette. Editorial, content organization, flow.
Advanced Media Institute wishes to thank all the speakers and seminar participants, the invited scientists and members of the faculty of the Master Program “Communication and New Journalism” and the audience that enriched with its presence and intervention the above actions.