The scope of this project is the investigation both of the ways in which “Artificial Intelligence” (AI) technologies are influencing and will continue to influence media reality, and the possibilities that they can offer in creating and monitoring journalistic content. Within this framework, the already existing uses of AI in journalism and social media production cycle are studied, along with possible applications of AI that our project team could implement.
A central point in our research effort is the discussion of issues regarding ethics, politics, justice and security in an AI environment and the critical questions that have to do with the moral and philosophical issues that the development of AI – possibly the most potent emerging technology today – entails. The aim should be to utilize the possibilities inherent in AI, while guaranteeing that these will be achieved in a way that is human-centric, safe, socially just and in accordance with the established regulatory values of democracy.
The project started in September 2019 with mapping the already existing use of AI in media and social media and the study of the relevant emerging political economy, and at the same time a first list with descriptions of potential AI-related software projects and the ways in which each one could assist in recording and checking published news were created.
The people involved in the research area are: Kostas Perifanos, Mihalis Panagiotakis, Eleni Natsi, Katerina Diamantaki and Demetra Mazaraki.
- Diamantaki, K. (2018). “What is Social Virtual Reality and why it is important for communication research”. Presentation at the Conference VR @ GR – Virtual Reality. Research and applications in Greece today, Onassis Cultural Centre (Athens, 24-25 November)
- Perifanos, Κ. (2018) The state of Journalism and Media: Facts, Trends, Challenges and Possibilities in an ever-changing landscape. Presentation at the International Conference Μedia, Polis, Agora: Journalism & Communication in the Digital Era. (Thessaloniki, 27-29 September)
- Kaimaki, B.& Natsi, E. (2018) Merging augmented reality and context awareness to shape the future of journalism. Presentation at the International Conference Μedia, Polis, Agora: Journalism & Communication in the Digital Era. (Thessaloniki, 27-29 September)
- Perifanos, Κ. (2018) Neural embeddings for metaphor detection in a corpus of Greek texts. Presentation at the 9th International Conference on Information, Intelligence, Systems and Applications (IISA). (Zakynthos, 16- 20 July)
- Perifanos, K. (2018) Neural embeddings for idiolect identification. Presentation at the 9th International Conference on Information, Intelligence, Systems and Applications (IISA). (Zakynthos, 16- 20 July)
- Perifanos, Κ. (2018) Beyond word2vec: Word Embedding models. Presentation at the PyData London Conference 2018. (London, 27-29 April)
- Perifanos, Κ. (2018) Ιs your Business AI ready? Chasm, F.U.D. and F.O.M.O. Presentation at the 3rd Technological Conference of Naftemporiki newspaper entitled AI: Blessing or Threat? (Αthens, 25 January)
- Perifanos, Κ. (2016) Democratising Big Data and Artificial Intelligence: Power, Ethics, Responsibility. Presentation at the 2nd Technological Conference of Naftemporiki newspaper entitled Internet of Things: Evolution in Action. (Αthens, 8 December)
- Perifanos. K. (2014) Conference Report QUALICO. Presentation at the Journal of Quantitative Linguistics. (Olomouc/Czech Republic, 29th May–1st June)
- Perifanos, Κ. (2014) Authorship Attribution using Python. Presentation at the PyData London Conference 2014. (London, 21-23 February)
- Perifanos. K. (2008) VEMUS, Virtual European Music School or A young person’s interactive guide to making music. Presentation at the 28th World Conference of the International Society for Music Education (ISME). (Santander/Spain, 20-25 July)
- Perifanos. K. (2008) VEMUS: An integrated platform to support music tuition tasks. Eighth IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies. (Santander/Spain, 1-5 July)
- Panayiotakis, M. (2019) The technological subjection of Europe, Copyright, and the Impossible (?) Alternative. Dimosiografia journal – The Greek edition of Columbia Journalism Review, issue 20, pp. 26-29
- Diamantaki, K., Papageorgopoulou, P., Charitos, D. & Rizopoulos, C. (2018). “Social experiences in virtual environments: a study into an emerging socio-technological phenomenon”. AoIR Selected Papers of Internet Research 2018.
- Florou, E., Perifanos, K., & Goutsos, D. (2018) A neural model for metaphor detection in a corpus of Greek texts. The 9th International Conference on Information, Intelligence, Systems and Applications, CILC2018.
- Natsi, E. (2018) The startups world and the chase of unicorns. Article included in the bibliography of the OUC Graduate Programme “Communication and Journalism” of the Open University of Cyprus.
- Natsi, E. (2015) Hands on the future: Many autonomous devices, one brain. Balena company blog, available online: <https://www.balena.io/blog/hands-on-the-future-autonomous-devices-one-brain/>
- Natsi, E. (2015) A dive into the world of BeagleBone. SBC report for Balena company blog, available oline: <https://www.balena.io/blog/a-dive-into-the-world-of-beaglebone/>
- Natsi, E. (2015) Intel’s Next Unit of Computing (NUC): The PC re-defined. SBC report for Balena company blog, available online: <https://www.balena.io/blog/intel-next-unit-of-computing-nuc-the-pc-redefined/>
- Natsi, E. (2015) HummingBoard overview: SolidRun’s upgradeable SBC. SBC report for Balena company blog, available online: <https://www.balena.io/blog/hummingboard-overview-solidrun-upgradeable-sbc/>
- Natsi, E. (2014) Internet of Everything: From ideas to reality. Communication Effect company blog, available online <http://communicationeffect.com/internet-of-everything/>
- Natsi, E. (2014) What does Kevin Spacey know about marketing and storytelling? Communication Effect company blog, available online <http://communicationeffect.com/kevin-spacey-on-marketing-and-storytelling/>
- Natsi, E. (2014) Networking in Barcelona: The Greek scientific community in Mobile World Congress. Media coverage from Barcelona on behalf of the news portal www.in.gr, available online: <https://www.in.gr/2014/02/26/tech/i-elliniki-ereynitiki-koinotita-sto-mobile-world-congress/>
- Natsi, E. (2013) Mobile World Congress 2013: The biggest trends and our mobile future. Media coverage from Barcelona on behalf of the news portal www.in.gr, available online: <https://www.in.gr/2013/02/28/tech/taseis-kai-proektaseis-gia-tin-psifiaki-epikoinwnia-toy-mellontos/>
- Batista, V., Benitez, I., Cepulyte, J., Higel, L., Hojer, L., Hove, A., Kabat, T., Macheridis, K., Mannheimer, E., Natsi, E., Nielsen, S., Pelgrim, C. & Veselinovič, J. (2013) Is the EU grass still greener? Young journalists reflect on the state of Europe, Euronews, available online: <https://www.euronews.com/2013/10/25/is-the-eu-grass-still-greener-young-journalists-reflect-on-the-state-of-europe>
- Perifanos, K. & Mikros, G. (2013) Authorship attribution in greek tweets using author’s multilevel n-gram profiles. AAAI Spring Symposium Series, pp.17-23
- Natsi, E. (2013) EU data protection reform: A pandora’s box or a new dawn for personal data? The Next Web, available online:< https://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/06/01/eu-data-protection-reform-a-pandoras-box-or-a-new-dawn-for-personal-data/>
- Natsi, E. (2013) Should startups from outside Western Europe attend events there? We asked at the Dublin Web Summit. Media coverage from Dublin on behalf of the Next Web, available online: <https://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/11/05/startups-outside-western-europe-attend-western-european-tech-conferences-asked-around-dublin-web-summit/>
- Natsi, E. (2013) Zerofund: An innovative platform to kickstart Greece’s startup scene. The Next Web, available online: <https://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/02/10/zerofund/>
- Perifanos, K. & Mikros, G. (2011) Authorship identification in large email collections: Experiments using features that belong to different linguistic levels. Notebook for PAN at CLEF.
- Perifanos, K. (2011) Gender identification in Modern Greek tweets -Recent Contributions to Quantitative Linguistics. AAAI Publications.
- Perifanos. K. (2008) Real-time detection and visualization of clarinet bad sounds. Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Digital Audio Effects (DAFx). (Espoo, 1-4 September)
- Perifanos, Κ. (2005-2009) Virtual European Music School, VEMUS, Technical Manager, <http://www.ilsp.gr/en/infoprojects/meta?view=project&task=show&id=76>
- Perifanos, Κ. (2011) Body of Greek Texts, BGT, Design and Implementation <www.sek.edu.gr>
- Perifanos, Κ. (2016) Intertemporal Body of Greek Texts, Σχεδιασμός και Υλοποίηση <http://greekcorpus20.sek.edu.gr >
- Perifanos, Κ. (2011-2012) Meta-share, an open and secure network of repositories for sharing and exchanging language data, tools and related web services. <http://www.meta-share.org/>
- Natsi, E. (2019) How artificial intelligence is transforming journalism: AI bias, the rise of deep fake news and the challenges for democracy. Web lecture for the students of the OUC Graduate Programme “Communication and Journalism”. (20 March 2019)
- Natsi, E. (2017) Startups: What they are, how they operate, grow and get funded. Web lecture for the students of the OUC Graduate Programme “Communication and Journalism”. (May 9, 2019)
- Natsi, E. (2016) Internet of Things made in Greece. Panel coordinator at Startup Safary Athens conference. (Athens, 18-20 November)
- Natsi, E. (2016) From idea to execution: Three entrepreneurs share their experiences. Panel coordinator at Startup Safary Athens conference. (Athens, 18-20 Nοvember)
- Natsi, E. (2016) How to make your business irresistible to the media. Speech given at Startup Safary Athens conference. (Athens, 18-20 November)
- Natsi, E. (2015) Women in Tech: Sharing experiences. Speech given at the LTUX Athens Community (Ladies that UX). (Athens, 23 September)
Natsi, E. (2015) Startups and media. Speech given at the technology community of the Open Coffee Patras. (Patras, 6 March)