Ongoing research project with lead researchers Sofia Iordanidou and Lida Tsene.
The research focuses on the shift from traditional to digital media and communication. The basic research questions concern not only the operational models of Media, but also the uprising needs of journalistic profession itself. The dissemination of innovative knowledge and attitudes, the need for continuous training and re-training of journalists who have lost their jobs in related areas of communication, are extremely important issues. What is the role of distance education? What are the new organizational models for media? What are the dissemination procedures that can be and are followed? We also apply to the research project the experience coming from the perennial operation of the MA Communication and new Journalism of OUC.
Upon completion of the qualitative and quantitative research phase, aimed to investigate the skills needed by journalists today, in order to meeting the challenges of the new era (economic crisis, the digital age, etc.), as well as the role of distance education and the need to redefine journalistic curricula.
- Tsene, L. & Iordanidou, S. (2019) Redefining Journalism: Practicing and Teaching Journalism in Greece today. Presentation at the 5th World Journalism Education Congress. (Paris, 9-12 July)
- Tsene, L. & Iordanidou, S. (2019) What is in a name? The quest of defining journalism. Presentation at the 15th Conference of the Global Communication Association entitled Media, Politics, Migration, and Education in the Digital Age. (Athens, 12 May)
- Tsene, L. & Iordanidou, S. (2018) Journalism in crisis: trends and perceptions in Greece and Cyprus. A new paradigm for critical journalism. Presentation at the Conference Media, Polis, Agora: Journalism & Communication in the digital era organized in the framework of AMIRetreat2018. (Thessaloniki, 27-29 September)
- Iordanidou, S. & Tsene, L. (2016) New skills for contemporary journalists in the era of crisis. The case of Greece. Presentation at the 6th European Communication Conference entitled Mediated (Dis) Continuities: Contesting Pasts, Presents and Futures που διοργάνωσε ο ECREA. (Πράγα, 9-12 Νοεμβρίου)
- Iordanidou, S. (2016) Journalism: Science, Art or Craft? Ontological Perspectives and Normative Considerations in an Era of Crisis. Presentation at the international conference Digital journalism: solution to the media crisis? co-organized by the Postgraduate Program “Communication and New Journalism” OUC, Advanced Media Institute and Secretariat General of Information & Communication. (Athens, September 21-23).
- Tsene, L. (2016) From Media Crisis to Social Media. Presentation at the international conference “Digital journalism: solution to the media crisis?” co-organized by the Postgraduate Program “Communication and New Journalism” OUC, Advanced Media Institute and Secretariat General of Information & Communication. (Athens, September 21-23).
- Iordanidou, S., Tsene, L. & Kyritsis, M. (2016) New Learning Skills for Journalists in the Digital Era Through Open and E-learning Platforms: the Case of Greece and Cyprus. Presentation at the international conference Médias Numériques & Communication Électronique organized by the University of Havre. (Havre, France, June 1-3).
- Iordanidou, S. & Tsene, L. (2015) Shaping a New Curriculum for Journalism Studies; Preliminary Findings. Presentation at the 13th Annual International Conference on Communication and Media organized by ATINER. (Athens, May 11-14).
- Iordanidou, S. & Tsene, L. (2014) The Role of Distance Learning Institutions in the Hybridization of the News-making Process with the Web-based Technologies: A Qualitative Analysis of Journalists’ Perspectives. Presentation at the 12th Annual International Conference on Communication and Mass Media organized by ATINER. (Athens, May 12-15).
- Iordanidou, S. & Tsene, L. (2014) Developing Life Long Learning in a Field Undergoing a Paradigmatic Shift: The Role of Distance Learning Institutions and the Crisis of Journalism. Presentation at the Annual International Conference Journalism in Transition: Crisis or Opportunity organized by ECREA. (Thessaloniki/Greece, March 28-29).
- Iordanidou, S. (2011) “Setting up a Media Lab to Facilitate Lifelong Learning of Journalists; Developing Lifelong Learning in a Field Undergoing a Paradigmatic Shift”. Presentation at the EADTU Annual Conference 2011: Universities and Regional Development in an Open Knowledge Society; Sharing Innovation and Knowledge in European universities organized by EADTU. (Eskişehir/Turkey, November 3-4).
- Iordanidou, S., Tsene, L. & Kyritsis, M, (2016) New learning skills for journalists in the digital era through open and e-learning platforms: the case of Greece and Cyprus”, in the collective volume Medias Numeriques & Communications Εlectronique, 4th International Conference Université du Havre, Actes du Colloque International, pp. 305-315.
- Tsene, L. (2015) Digital Media, Social Networks & the Changing Face of Journalism Book Chapter at UNESCO Series on Journalism Education Teaching Journalism for Sustainable Development – Model Curricula For Journalism Education, UNESCO, pp.107-124
- Iordanidou, S. & Tsene, L. (2014) The Role of Distance Learning in Journalism: Preliminary Findings from Journalists’ Perspectives Media Studies, Vol. 9 pp.43-60. Available at http://hrcak.srce.hr/index.php?show=clanak&id_clanak_jezik=188577
- Iordanidou, S. (2012) Setting up a Media Lab to Facilitate Lifelong Learning of Journalists; Developing Lifelong Learning in a Field Undergoing a Paradigmatic Shift in the collective volume Proceedings EADTU Annual Conference. Available at: http://www.academia.edu/7495618/Practices_of_European_Quality_Assurance_and_Accreditation_Agencies_for_the_Evaluation_of_Distance_Education_Settings