With a finger on the pulse of local and global events, the Advanced Media Institute organizes large and small scientific meetings, which attract the academic community and opinion leaders across business and politics, as well as the wider public, to exchange views on current issues within the framework of open discussion. Up until today, we have organized three international scientific conferences, 18 open days and more than 40 workshops, seminars and lectures, in which scientists and professionals from Greece, Cyprus and abroad have participated.
- Media, Polis, Agora: Journalism & Communication in the Digital Era (September 2018)Visit the webpage: https://amiretreat2018.advancedmediainstitute.com/
- Journalism, Society and Politics in new, digital, mediated era. (September 2017)Visit the webpage: https://amiretreat2017.advancedmediainstitute.com/
- Digital Journalism: solution to the Media crisis? (October 2016) Visit the webpage: https://retreatconference2016.advancedmediainstitute.com/
For the Master Program “Communication and New Journalism” of the Open University of Cyprus, the Advanced Media Institute organized six #retreats – annual 3-day scientific meetings aiming to bring together students/newcomers/graduates and instructors in Athens, Agros/Cyprus, Thessaloniki, Crete, Athens and Limassol. It also organized different thematic scientific day conferences and special lectures.
The Institute, in cooperation with bookstores IANOS and “Metamesonykties Publications”, conducted a series of six public debates with the participation of well-known journalists and communication scholars. The aim of the discussions was to explore solutions, the effects of these solutions and their impact. These discussions were held in Athens and Nicosia and were attended by politicians, academics, journalists and intellectuals from Greece and Cyprus. Questions and discussions were all coordinated by Sofia Iordanidou.
- Lefteris Kousoulis, Michalis Charalambidis “Reaction to the roots of inertia: the trap of partisanship, political conscience / political participation”, 5.2.2013
- Giorgos Contogeorgis, Antonis Papagiannidis, “The international dimension. Placements and silences: Are we living in a one-dimensional world?”, 13.3.2013
- Lefteris Kousoulis, Stavros Lygeros, “Who leads the discussion: politicians or journalists?”, 10.4.2013
- Antonis Papagiannidis, Yiannis Stavrakakis. Giorgos Kapopoulos, “The European belonging of Greece: how ingrained is it?”, 14.5.2013
- Antonis Papagiannidis, Christoforos Sardelis, “The debate on the economy and the debt hypothesis: can we agree?”, 12.6.2013
- Antonis Papagiannidis, Lefteris Kousoulis, Philippos Pangalos, “How do they see us: Foreign Correspondents in Greece”, 3.7.2013
- Scientific Workshop: “Greece and Cyprus in economic, political and moral despair: Output Prospects”, with Haridimos Tsoukas, Lefteris Kousoulis, Antonis Ellinas and Achilles Emilianides. Nicosia, 11.3.2013
- Scientific Workshop: #retreat2013: “Cyprus and Propaganda” with Achilles Emilianides, Giorgos Kentas, Michalis Kontos and Andreas Panagiotou. Agros/Cyprus, 4-6 October 2013
- “Dimosiografia” Journal in Phileleftheros newspapaper”, day conference for the content of the journal “Dimosiografia” by Nikos Christodoulides, Haridimos Tsoukas and Achilles Emilianides, Nicosia, 14 December 2013
- Interdisciplinary workshop: “Freedom of speech, of law or fear. New Journalism and its challenges”. Organized by the Master Program “Communication and New Journalism” of OUC, Law Department of the University of Nicosia and the magazine “Dimosiografia”, 17 March 2014, Unesco Hall, University of Nicosia
- Scientific Workshop: # retreat2014: “Communication, Journalism and Politics in the 21st Century: A Brave New World?”, with Paul Tsimas, Valia Kaimaki, Chrysanthos Chrysanthou, Andreas Panagopoulos, Dimitris Papazoglou, Efthimios Savvaki, Aris Democides, Lefteris Kousoulis, Vassilis Mourdoukoutas and George Skampardonis, Thessaloniki 3-5 October 2014
- Scientific Workshop: “How has the Banking Crisis affected the international image of Cyprus?” with Nikos Christodoulides, Michalis Persianis, Andreas Assiotis, George Pamporides and George Kentas, Nicosia, 14 May 2015. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzfOCZD1EA
- Scientific Workshop: «CreteRetreat2015: Destination Branding and Travel Journalism», with Stavros Arnaoutakis, Antonis Demetriou, Panayiotis Papoutsakis, Sissy Papadogianni, Antonis Papayiannides, and Vasilis Mourdoukoutas, Heraklion/Greece, 2-4 October 2015
- Scientific Workshop: “How Turkish Cypriots see us”, with Nikos Christodoulides, Stefanos Stefanou, Giorgos Lillikas, Nigiazi Kizilkiourek and Chrysanthos Chrysanthou, Nicosia, 13 January 2016
- “Prejudices and Blindness in the Economy of the 21st century”. Series of lectures by Kostas Vergopoulos, Nicosia, 15-16 April 2016
- Getting ready for GDPR, a new institution, debate for the changes brought about by GDPR with Vassilis Sotiropoulos, Eirini Loizidou-Nikolaidou, Achilles Emiliandes, Sofia Iordanidou. Greeted by the Dean of the OUC Socrates Katsikas, Nicosia, February 2018
- Politics and journalism in the era of the crisis and of fake news. Conversation with Stavros Theodorakis at the Open University of Cyprus (Nicosia, May 2018)
- Political influences in the Palestinian mass media. Lecture from the Palestinian Professor Farid Abudhier at Ianos bookstore, Thessaloniki, September 2018
- Media Literacy: in search of its meaning and function. Debate in the framework of the 1st European Week on Education and Media with Lefteris Kretsos, Lena Divani, Dimitiris Sevastakis, Marianna Pyrgoti, Antonis Papagiannidis, Vassilis Mourdoukoutas and Sofia Iordanidou, Athens, September 2018
Scientific Lectures and Seminars
In order to achieve the best connection between the academic theory and the market, Advanced Media Institute has organized a series of seminars, workshops and lectures conducted by well known, professionals and academics, with the participation of an audience:
- Maria Chrysanthou “Principles of Intercultural Journalism and Communication”, 30.10.2012
- Father Neophytos Karam “Culture in Southeast Mediterranean”, 26.11.2012
- Petros Zarounas “Media and political / social conflicts in SE Mediterranean”, 01.12.2012.
- Theodoros Theodorou: “Muslim minority of Thrace”, 02.12.2012.
- Yiannis Stavrakakis “Spirits of the crisis: Ethical and political dimensions of the Economy”, 19.12.2012.
- Alexandros Kazamias “Orientalism and Revolution: The ‘Arab Spring’ in the Western media”, 17.01.2013.
- Dinos Siotis. “The Relationship of Poetry with Politics”, 26.01.2013.
- Giorgos Papakyriacou “Media in the Arab world and their role in political and social processes”, 27.01.2013.
- Projection of the film «Yellow Channel» by Thomas Kallis. Debating with Achilles Grammatikopoulos and Thomas Kallis, 27.01.2013.
- Antonis Papagiannidis, “Governments, society and news”, 20.02.2013.
- Christodoulos Tzionis. “Journalism and the distortions of the Greek language”, 28.02.2013.
- Nikos Sotiriades. “Television from the 80s to the 2010s”, 20.03.2013.
- Maria Xenofontos. “Political Strategic Communication”, 29.03.2013.
- Zeta Mazou. “Focus Group: Methodology and Operationalization of Results in the Design of Communication Campaigns”, 7.4.2013.
- Myrsini Dogani. “Greek Economic Crisis: Guilt, Apology and Propaganda in the Short Film # Pseudocracy #”.
- Movie by Paschalis Papapetrou “Souvlakia Sheftalia”. Discussion with directors / producers Paschalis Papapetrou, Stavros Papageorgiou and Panayiotis Caparis for the relationship of journalism with the direction.
- Anthonis Makridis: President of the Union of Cyprus Journalists.
- Myrsini Dogani. “The rhetorical construction of fear in the journalistic discourse”, 4.12.2013.
- Panagiotis Tsiligiannis, “Crisis management: the plan, the message and lessons to be avoided”, 22.1.2014.
- “Investigation of the effects of the economic crisis in the media, the central Media and Social Media.” Held on 26 January 2014. Presented by Mr. Orestis Tringides, expert in online information issues.
- “Potential distortions and deviations in the coverage of economic news.” Held on 31 March 2014. Presented by Mr. Peter Petrides, Secretary of the “Cyprus Media Complaints Commission”.
- “Mediation, communication and the consumer of media: A socio-historical reading of mediation”, by Evangelos Liontzis, 24.10.2014.
- “Leadership and Emotional Intelligence. What leadership means today, what is the Leader model today, skills and emotional intelligence”, by Dimitra Iordanoglou, 18.11.2014.
- “The comparison of Journalism in mainstream and online media”. Presented on 9 December 2014 by Christoforos Papastylianou, journalist and founder of the website paideia-news.com.
- “Developments in journalistic practice.” Held on 16 October 2015 and related the development of journalism in the light of technological advances, the financial crisis, the media crisis and journalistic storytelling in different experiences of media platforms – With Christos Kalountzoglou, head of the web TV of the Athenian and the Macedonian Press Agency news and journalist of Antenna.
- “The rise and decline of economic theories from the Great Depression of 1929 until the crisis of 2008-2009. The view from a national perspective.” by Lawyer / Journalist / Analyst Anthonis D. Papayiannides, 19.12.2015.
- “Social literacy and journalism”. Held on 14 January 2016 and related to the emergence of new forms of conducting journalism and the transformations both of journalism and of the relation of audiences with the media and the social networking sites – With journalist Thanasis Trompoukis, editor-in-chief of the Greek version of e-magazine Vice.
- “Modern Political Marketing” by Dr. Dionysis Panos Part A on 29.01.2016 & Part B on 08.04.2016.
- “Notice me: Internet today – from the industry of attention to the manufacturing of interest” on 26 October 2016 by journalist and blogger Manolis Andriotakis.
- “Causal relations as a meaning assigning tool and a tool for the evaluation of social phenomena” on 1 November 2016 by Manos Takas.
- “Media Literacy–Key priority of the citizen” by Antonis Zarintas
- “It’s just a game”: Gaming applied to communication and culture” on 8 December 2016 by Alexander Hendon.
- “Fake news” and misinformation in the age of the internet” on 21 December 2016 by Michalis Panagiotakis and Nikos Smyrnaios.
- “Believe in yourself: inspire, influence and interact” on 8 April 2017 by Vassilis Hadjiilias, Marketing-Creative Expert at Media Markt.
- “Start-ups, what are they, how they operate, how they are financed” by Marketing and Communications Expert Eleni Natsi on 11 May 2017.
- “Fear: theory, action, effect and deconstruction” by Myrsini Dogani on 16 May 2017
- “Whose fault is the economic crisis; Whose fault is the submission of Greece to the Memoranda: Whose fault is the rise of far right in Europe?” Lecture on causality as a process, a tool and a distortion, with Emmanuel Takas, 5 October 2017.
- “Speech-writing in practice: The art of speechwriting” with Dionysis Panos and Panagiotis Tsiligiannis, 8 December 2017.
- “Digitization of journalistic text” with Valia Kaimaki, 6 February 2018
- “Journalism and social digital networks: a love-hate relationship” with Nikos Smyrnaios, 1 March 2018
- “Film Marketing: Campaigns that Inspired Us” with Mary, Theatrical Marketing Manager in Sony Pictures Entertainment, 25 April 2018
- “Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Quality Journalism & Fake News” with Kostas Perifanos on the research, design and development of Machine Learning and AI tools, 2 May 2018
- “Blaming and causal relations. Process, analytic tools and distortions” with Emmanuel Takas, 18 October 2018
- “Crowdfunding, through two particulary successful campaigns” with Natalia Katifori, Managing Director of OPUS Integrated Communication company. 21 Novmber 2018.
- “Speech-writing in practice: The art of speechwriting” with Dionysis Panos and Panagiotis Tsiligiannis, 26 November 2018.
- “Image, video and speech” with film director, painter and Professor at the School of Fine Arts of AUTH, Kyriakos Katzourakis, 20 April 2019.
- “Electronic challenges of modern journalism: traditional and contemporary Media”, with journalist Dimitris N. Maniatis, 23 February 2019.
- “Artificial Intelligence in newsrooms and with professional journalists” with Eleni Natsi, Marketing and Communications manager specialized in new technologies, 20 March 2019
- “The journalist as a multi-scientist in the digital environment and understanding the function of the Media” with Sofia Iordanidou, Associate Professor at OUC & Chair of the Advanced Media Institute, 18 April 2019
- “From paper to participation: tools and skills of the modern journalist.” Three 4-hour workshops with Nikos Xidakis with the participation of specialists, for studens (Athens, 24 February, 3 March, 17 March 2013)
- “The issue of debt in Greece”. Two-day seminar in the framework of the new research project of the AMI “Economy, Debt, Society and Communication” and the Debt Free Project (27-28 March)
“Thinking, Writing and Researching: When action begets knowledge” – For freshmen (obligatory). Key principles of academic writing. Key principles of research, digitalization of texts (14 September 2019, in the framework of #Retreat2019)
o Lecturers: Charis Platanakis, Assistant Professor of Political Theory at the University of Athens and member of the teaching staff of the Open University of Cyprus | Manos Takas, Professor of Communication, Methodology, Political Science and Social Psychology.
o An introduction to methodology for freshmen wishing to engage in academic study and writing (academic style and the evaluation/documentation of information, academic research and reasoning, expression and formation), in the reading of quantitative data (content analysis, multiple variable tables, quantification and graphs, misinterpretations and manipulation of quantitative studies), and in the digitalization of texts (purpose and techniques).
“Modern Pre-election Campaigns” – Workshop of Political Communication (14 September 2019, in the framework of #Retreat2019)
o Lecturers: Giannis Kallianos, meteorologist, mathematician, member of Parliament | Vassilis Mourdoukoutas, communication strategy advisor, member of the teaching staff of the Open University of Cyprus| Kyriakos Kolovos, mathematician, alumnus of the Postgraduate program “Communication and new Journalism”, PhD candidate in the Open University of Cyprus
“The digital age of journalism, data, new tools and copyright” – Workshop with the support of iMEdD – incubator for Media Education and Development (14 September 2019, in the framework of #Retreat2019)
o Lecturers: Ioannis Papadopoulos, journalist, Kathimerini newspaper | Yiannis Drenoyiannis, journalist, cameraman, VR360 specialist | Nikos Sarris, Head of the ATCInnovation Lab | Elli Roussou, advocate specializing in copyright issues
Coordination: Kelly Kiki, journalist, data analysis specialist.
Advanced Media Institute wishes to thank all the speakers and seminar participants, the invited scientists and members of the faculty of the Master Program “Communication and New Journalism” and the audience that enriched with its presence and intervention the above actions.